Diatomaceous Earth For Pets

Diatomaceous Earth for Pet Use

Pets are exposed to hundreds of parasites like fleas, tics, and ear mites on a daily basis. These parasites destroy the health of pets and reduce their overall quality of life. While there are natural parasite killers available in stores, they are expensive and can have several chemicals that cause irritation on a pets skin.

Is Diatomaceous Earth Safe For Pets

This is why pet owners often seek after alternative methods of pest control.

Diatomaceous earth for pets is a non-toxic natural substance made up from the exoskeleton of prehistoric algae called diatoms. These diatoms eventually died and formed huge deposits of what we now know as diatomaceous earth.

Diatomaceous Earth Ringworm Removal

Diatomaceous earth is useful in a few ways. First, diatomaceous earth can remove internal parasites like ringworms or tapeworms in the stomach. This action is strictly mechanical, not chemical. Diatomaceous earth has a cylindrical shape and contains sharp edges.

These sharp edges work their way through the digestive system and cut the skins of the parasites. These parasites are then contained in the cylinder and removed through regular bowel movements.

It may take up to a month for the parasites to fully be removed from the pets system. Likewise, any eggs that may have been laid by the parasites must also be removed and may take 30 days as well. A teaspoon should be given to the pet once a day and extra water should be given to counteract the drying effect of diatomaceous earth.

Diatomaceous Earth Flea and Tick Control

Besides ringworms and tapeworms, fleas and ticks are the next most common parasite to affect pets. Diatomaceous earth removes these pets using a similar mechanism that was used to removal internal parasites.

To control fleas and ticks, a pet can be coated with food grade diatomaceous earth with a brush. Diatomaceous earth uses sharp edges to cut the exoskeletons of these parasites. It then acts a drying agent and quickly dries out the parasites leaving them to either flee the animal or die in the process.

Tips for using Diatomaceous Earth with Pets

    – Only ever use food grade diatomaceous earth when interacting with pets. Food grade diatomaceous earth will not harm their skin or cause any irritations.

    – Small dogs and puppies should only be exposed to one teaspoon of diatomaceous earth per day. Larger dogs over 55 pounds can be exposed up to one tablespoon per day.

    – Although large dogs can consume up to one tablespoon per day, they should only consume a teaspoon or two to start and gradually consume a higher dose.

    – Large cats can consume one teaspoon per day and kittens should only be exposed to 1/4th of a teaspoon to avoid dehydration.

Diatomaceous earth is one of the most natural pest repellants and parasite killers. If your pet is struggling with parasites, considering buying diatomaceous earth to kill these parasites and enhance your pets health.

Have you had success with giving your pets D.E. or taken it yourself and had great results. Please leave a comment below and let us know what you think!